Before Using Your SDXC Memory Card
SDXC standard-based memory cards and devices (digital cameras, video cameras, laptops, etc.) are now available. As an early adopter of the new SDXC standard, it is important that you understand how to use your new SDXC memory card to its greatest ability.
Before inserting your SDXC memory card into your device, confirm the device is compatible with the SDXC standard by locating an SDXC logo on the device or referring to the device's user manual or manufacturer information. Remember:
Understanding Backwards Compatibility
- SDXC memory cards must be used only with SDXC devices.
- SDXC devices can use SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.
- SDHC memory cards can be used with SDHC and SDXC devices.
- SDHC devices can use both SD and SDHC memory cards.
- SD devices can only use SD memory cards.
Only Use SDXC Memory Cards in SDXC Devices
SDXC devices are backwards compatible, so they accept SD and SDHC memory cards. SDXC memory cards must only be used with SDXC devices and should never be used in non-compatible devices. If you need to format an SDXC memory card, you can typically format it by using your SDXC device or by using the SD Formatter 3.0 with your computer.
If an SDXC memory card is inserted into a computer or device that does not support the SDXC standard, a message may prompt you to format the card. Do not format the SDXC memory card in a non-compatible device because it will erase the data on the SDXC memory card and format the card for a different file system, making it incompatible with SDXC devices.
Possible Device Messages
1. Non-compatible computer
If you accidentally insert your SDXC card into a computer that does not support SDXC (using a direct SD slot or USB reader/writer), the following messages may appear:
2. Non-compatible Device
If you accidentally insert your SDXC memory card into an SDHC device that is not compliant, the following messages may appear:
SDXC Memory Cards for Computers
- You can access the SDXC card by using an SDXC compatible USB reader or adapter.
- If you want to use an SDXC card in the SD slot on your computer, you need an SDXC compatible driver for the SD slot.*
- Contact your computer manufacturer to confirm the SD slot on your computer is compatible with SDXC cards and for availability of the SDXC driver.