Sometimes back as the Corona pandemic spread and restricted the movement of people, social media blew up with the Dalgona coffee (whipped coffee) challenge. Coffee enthusiasts from all parts of the world took it up and tried to outdo each other in creating the perfect Dalgona cup. Some of the outcomes were outright hilarious. This challenge brought out the fact that coffee is a regular beverage in many households.
Coffee beans are among the world’s most sought after commodities after petroleum. Popular myth has it that coffee was first discovered in Ethiopia by a goat herder named Kaldi. He claimed that his goats appeared extremely energetic after consuming wild berries later called coffee beans. Kaldi and his acquaintances would dry the berries, crush them, add water, and drink the mixture to stay awake longer; the rest is history.
What makes coffee so unique? For starters, a cup of coffee provides caffeine, the most common and natural adrenaline booster worldwide. Whenever you get fatigued, a cup of coffee could be all you need to stay rejuvenated until the next activity break. Besides, coffee houses are some of the most popular social joints, allowing people from all walks of life to meet and interact.
Types of Coffee Beans
There are three types of coffee beans in the world; Arabica, Robusta, and Liberica. These varieties have different flavors and grow under different climatic conditions. Moreover, they can be roasted in varying degrees to produce more distinct flavors. The roast strength varies from dark and medium-dark, to medium and light-medium.
Many coffee enterprises have taken advantage of the digital space to enable their customers to buy different types of coffee beans online. Time-strapped consumers can now buy coffee beans online. One popular online store for different coffees is the Kent & Sussex Tea Company. You can find a variety of coffee brands highlighted on the site to choose from. It is essential to know the different types of coffee beans available when you buy coffee online. They include:
This is the most popular type among consumers who buy coffee online. Arabica coffee grows in many parts of the world, accounting for about 60% of the world’s coffee production.
Arabica coffee grows in high-altitude areas (1300-2800M) and differs in flavor. Different coffees of Arabica in stock at The Kent and Sussex Tea and Coffee Company online store include the Kenya AA Coffee, which fuses butterscotch, orange blossom, and fig flavors.
Coffee beans from the Arabica plant contain the least concentration of caffeine, with a mild flavor. To get the best out of your Arabica coffee beans, serve hot using the drip method. Adding cream or milk lowers Arabica’s quality.
Robusta coffee beans play second fiddle to Arabica, accounting for about 30% of the world’s coffee consumption. This is the choice for coffee lovers that prefer high caffeine, as it contains doubled caffeine levels compared to Arabica.
Lower altitude areas (0-800M) are ideal for this variety prized for low levels of acidity and slight chocolate flavor. Robusta coffee goes well with cream and milk, without losing its flavor.
Liberica coffee beans are rare and highly-priced. This variety thrives in a few Asian countries such as the Philippines and Malaysia. It is famed for a unique nutty flavor with hints of fruit and chocolate.
It is best to consider the benefits and disadvantages of taking coffee to understand the need to control your coffee intake.
Health Benefits of Taking Coffee Regularly
The advantages of consuming coffee on the regular are many, including:
- Improving your physical performance: Caffeine encourages the production of adrenaline, a hormone that helps you to get around physical activities with ease.
- Boosting your immunity: Coffee contains antioxidants that play a vital role in protecting the body’s cells from free radicals.
- Accelerating weight loss: Caffeine helps the body to burn fat and enhances the body’s metabolic rate.
- Coffee improves memory: The caffeine in coffee aids the brain’s functions, boosting its ability to remain active.
- Protecting your liver: The liver is a vital organ in the body’s detoxification process, and coffee reduces unhealthy enzymes present in the liver for optimum functionality.
- Fighting and preventing gout: Coffee contains antioxidants that can lower insulin and uric acid levels in the body, which are the primary causes of gout when in high concentrations.
Adverse Effects of Excessive Coffee Intake
Nutritionists recommend taking a maximum of 400 mg of caffeine in a day. Here are some negatives effects of excessive coffee consumption that should guide your coffee intake:
- Increased risk of gastroesophageal reflux: Coffee is acidic and may worsen symptoms of heartburn in regular drinkers.
- Risk of coffee addiction: Excessive consumption of coffee can lead to over-reliance and create withdrawal problems.
- Disruption of sleep: Some people are unable to catch their ordinary hours of sleep even with little amounts of coffee.
- Implications in pregnancy: Caffeine can permeate the placenta to the fetus and should be consumed moderately by pregnant women.
Steps to Help Control Coffee Intake in Adults
If you are worried that your coffee intake rate is on an upward trend, taking measures to control it is a step in the right direction. Here are a few changes you can make to ensure you do not exceed the recommended caffeine intake:
1. Increase Your Water Intake
Taking water can be a mundane task that is overlooked by many people. Water significantly lowers the urge to indulge in any beverage. This simple change can replace two or three cups of regular coffee.
2. Slowly Switch to Green Tea
Green tea might not be pleasant to someone inclined to the coffee flavor. However, it can offer relief as it contains less caffeine and can mitigate the withdrawal symptoms that accompany going off caffeine.
3. Opt for Decaf
Decaf coffee is almost free of caffeine while still maintaining the visual and flavor of regular coffee. The low levels of caffeine will help you to ease your way out of caffeine addiction. Switch to decaf and buy coffee beans online from Kent & Sussex Tea Company at affordable rates.
4. Make Use of Apps
Apps like UP Coffee, can create a caffeine personality for users and recommend caffeine adjustments that can help to correct sleep disorders caused by excessive caffeine intake.
For good health, control your coffee habit, and stick to the recommended caffeine uptake. While coffee taken in moderation has excellent health benefits, the reverse is true for overindulgence, leading to adverse effects like cardiovascular diseases.