When you spend most of your day working, a decent comfy desk is more of a necessity than a piece of furniture. As a result, before making a purchase, it is critical to weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of modern market solutions. Here is everything you need to know to make the right decision.
How Do I Find The Best Perfect Desk?
Learning vital information about desks can assist you in determining what type of furniture you require, narrowing the circle, and selecting the finest option from all variants.
Types of Desks
Bulky desks grew lighter and freed of unneeded pieces after the commencement of mass furniture manufacture. The furniture intended for writing has also altered since the arrival of computers.
Special niches for the monitor, system unit, and a retractable shelf for the keyboard were included in their design. The model range of writing tables is divided into numerous categories based on the following criteria:
- Preferred location;
- Configuration (i.e., availability of extra features (shelves, niches, add-ons, unique holders, etc.).
The desks are classified into three types based on their owner’s age:
- For kids;
- For teenagers;
- For adults.
The size of the desktop, depth, and, of course, height varies across the three styles. Therefore, it is vital to select models for each person individually. It is also important to consider furniture design. For example, for girls, it could be a bright pink color with floral-themed jewelry. Blue and grey models will be appropriate for boys. Teenagers prefer desks with a modern style and a lot of technical “gear.”
If your budget is restricted and does not allow for purchasing a new table in the coming years, consider a height-adjustable desk.
When selecting a desk, consider the needs of the people who will use it. If it is intended for the performance of large-scale operations (e.g., drawing), one should look for spacious models with wide desktops. If you need to organize the storage of huge quantities of work accessories, the emphasis is on the availability of several boxes and shelves.
#3 Preferred Location
Based on the type of installation, the workstations are classified as follows:
- A corner desk. It is designed to be placed at the intersection of two walls and takes up little space. The solution is ideal for small rooms in city apartments. This desk type necessitates improved lighting.
- Wall-mounted. This desk type is represented by the desktop and specific holders, which are used to hang it on the wall.
- Classic. It is rectangular and may be placed anywhere in your home.
- Fold up. This option is ideal for compact apartments where a large traditional desk cannot be installed.
Whatever the reason for the purchase, the desk must fulfill widely acknowledged standards. They will ensure that the hands are appropriately positioned, the posture is perfect, and the eyes are at the appropriate distance from the paper or monitor.
The way a person works at a desk has a direct impact on his or her health. The following requirements must be met:
- The desktop’s length cannot be less than one meter;
- There should be enough room for both hands on the desktop;
- The depth of the desktop cannot be less than 0.5-0.6 m.
Based on the material used in their construction, desks are classed as follows:
- MDF. These desktops are built of wood chips (mainly sawdust) with the addition of adhesive substances.
- Chipboard. The material is comparable to MDF. Nonetheless, its service life is shorter.
- Natural wood. It is a high-priced heavy material that will serve you for more than a decade.
- Metal. It is used in combination with wood or glass to create custom-made workstations for designer interiors.
- Glass. It is used to construct desk desktops only. Hardened glass can withstand damage and hold large things. These desks are suitable for Hi-Tech, minimalism, and loft environments.
- Plastic. It is the cheapest and least useful material. On such a desk, heavy loads are not permitted. As a result, it will be incapable of serving for an extended period.
Traditional variants include a storage system consisting of drawers at one of the sides (or both). When the desk’s side shelves are not enough, one equips his workstation with add-ons above the desktop (e.g., additional open and closed shelves for books, documents, textbooks, stationery, etc.).
The models with a retractable countertop are also extremely popular. This feature expands the working surface greatly and is popular at home workshops.
Your workspace is critical to your productivity. A well-chosen desk will be a practical as well as an aesthetically beautiful addition to your home.
Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.