Vinyl windows are the cheapest and most profitable home investment one can make. They can be installed anywhere from jeeps to plastic sunrooms. Despite requiring low-key maintenance, vinyl windows require regular cleaning. However, since they can get scratched while being cleaned, it is important that they are dealt with a gentle hand.
If you’re looking for a new vinyl window installation Winnipeg area, we suggest you go through this blog post to be aware of how much cleaning these windows require.
Cleaning the Glass
For cleaning the glass of your vinyl windows, follow these steps.
- Dust off windows with a dry cloth to clean off the excess dirt on them.
- Gently rub a damp cloth over the glass to clean any easily removable dust stains.
- The next step is to either prepare a cleaning mixture or use a market bought one. There are many good quality home products’ brands out there. You can select any brand you want but the cleaning mixture you choose must be mild in its essence and not very strong.
- Remember, strong mixtures can cause permanent discoloration of vinyl windows.
- On the contrary, if you wish to prepare a cleaning mixture at home, use a non-detergent soap and warm water. The exact ratios to prepare the mixture are ¼ cup non-detergent soap and 1 gallon of warm water.
- Mix them both in a container, take a microfiber towel and dip it in the mixture.
- Gently dab this towel over the dirt laced windows.
- Rinse the cloth and repeat the process as many times as you deem necessary.
- Once you feel the dust stains and particles have been completely cleaned, put aside the cleaning tools.
- Take a clean microfiber towel dipped in clean and freshwater.
- Now wipe off the soapy liquid from the windows.
- Once done, take a clean try absorbent cloth which is super soft then rub it over the windows to get them dried.
- Your cleaning process has been completed.
You must repeat this process almost every week or fortnightly to keep your vinyl windows forever fresh and clean. However, there are some precautions you must take. These include:
- As mentioned before, do not use strong chemicals for cleaning vinyl Windows. They can cause permanent discoloration.
- Do not use bleach or any other unnecessarily abrasive chemical.
- Use a Microfiber towel or a super soft absorbent cloth.
- Never use crisp cloths or paper towels on vinyl Windows. They can scratch the glass surface.
- The cloth you use must be clean otherwise a bad smell will seep into your windows.
- The last step is equally important. If you leave out the windows drying part, the water will leave its spots on the glass.
- You can always use a spray bottle to spread the soap liquid on the glass.
- Clean both sides of windows or else one side will look darker due to dust than the other.
Cleaning Window Frames
For cleaning window frames, follow the steps below:
- Use a vacuum cleaner to take off any spider’s webs and other dust particles.
- Then take a dry clean cloth and dust off frames.
- If you still have some of the cleaning mixture left from cleaning the glass, dip a clean and soft cloth into it and wipe the frames.
- Once done, you can take a toothbrush or any other object which helps with gently scraping off the dust stains.
- Then take a clean damp cloth and wipe off the soap.
- Then dry out the frames with a dry cloth.
After cleaning your vinyl windows and frames, let them completely dry out after coming in contact with air and sun. Once they are dried, you will see a prominent difference in their before and after conditions. For best results, repeat this process bi-weekly. It will help in keeping your Vinyl windows as good as new for a longer period of time.
However, always remember that hard chemicals, crisp clothes, and rough wiping or scraping should be avoided. All of these can scratch and discolor vinyl windows causing damage, which is the opposite of what you wanted.
Maintaining Vinyl Windows
If you want to add a further layer of freshness to your vinyl windows, you can always use the polishes and sunscreen protecting liquids specifically for these window types. If you do not have any idea which brand to buy or which of these liquids would work in the best interest of your home’s windows, then ask your windows and doors services provider for guidance.
Windows and doors replacement service providers know how to handle each material with care. They can help you in finding the best cleaning agents and tools for your home’s windows and doors. However, if you’re still unsure and have problems cleaning your vinyl windows, you can always schedule a call with professional cleaners for the best results.
Since vinyl windows are the easiest of all window materials to be cleaned, homeowners can easily make cleaning them a regular part of their routine. The more often they are cleaned, the newer they’ll stay. However, the precautions mentioned above must be taken to ensure that no harm comes off the cleaning process.
As for the polishing part, vinyl windows don’t need polishing more than once in a month. This is because they are able to retain their freshness and resist the sun’s harmful rays. This makes it even easier for them to retain their form and maintain them.
Whether you have vinyl windows in your porch or sunroom, you can clean them easily. Many sunroom owners like to disassemble their vinyl window panes and then clean them. If you cannot clean the sunroom vinyl windows yourself, you can always take help from professional cleaners to get the job done. Just remember no hard cleaners such as acetone or bleach should be put on these gentle surfaces.