Red, orange, and yellow fish roe usually come from salmon (or trout, whitefish, and other species), and it is known as red caviar.
Since it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals, such3 B group and Vitamins D, A, and E, as well as minerals (calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, iodine, magnesium, etc.), and polyunsaturated fatty acids Omega-3, Omega-6, and Omega-9, red caviar is very nutritious, and it is useful for all ages. It also provides the human organism with easily digested protein (the amount is almost double of that for beef and cottage cheese).
You benefited from eating caviar in the following ways:
- the immune system gets boosted;
- heart and blood vessels become stronger;
- the cancer risk diminishes;
- eyesight improves;
- joints become stronger and more flexible;
- extra energy is added for work productivity.
From the History of the Subject
It is generally acknowledged that it was the Russian aristocracy that introduced the caviar into their dining menu and made it prestigious. Actually, it is not quite so. Caviar consumption dates back to ancient times of Greek city-states and Roman Empire, and only then the fashion was followed by the medieval European royalty and Russian Tsars. It became an important part of dinner diets in the U.S. in the 19th century.
Actually, red caviar has been a part of Russian and Japanese cuisines since the 16th century. Nowadays, it is produced from the salmon roe from Pacific and Atlantic waters and some inland water basins. The Japanese still widely use it as toppings for their dishes cooked with rice, and as a part of sushi rolls.
Many people believe that true caviar can be black only. However, it is not like that. Wild sturgeon caviar which is known as the black one, is highly appreciated by the aristocracy, of course. It differs in taste and quality. Though, as for salmon roe (or red caviar), it has a lot of the same nutritional qualities because of its great content of vitamins and minerals.
Red caviar differs from the black one by the way of its preparation and by its price. Black caviar is much more expensive. The difference can be also observed in taste. As for the latter, the salmon roe is less salty than black caviar. And there is a slightly sweet taste in it.
Amazing Characteristics of Red Caviar
Therefore, the question may arise why caviar is special, and what makes it the most nutritious and beneficial product of all.
Children Nourishment and Red Caviar
The natives of Alaska have been using red caviar as a rich source of vitamins for their kids for hundreds of years ago. The same idea can work for all children aged over 1.5 years. It enhances brain development and enforces the immune and metabolic systems.
It also helps to prevent such health disorders as hypertension, inflammations, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and development deficiencies in nervous and reproductive systems. It makes a child more resistant to any disease. As well, it helps kids to get used to seafood of any type and to start loving it.
For the same reason, it is highly recommended for pregnant women because it plays a role in developing normal fetal brain and eye.
Using Red Caviar for Beauty Industry Purposes
The caviar has the format of cells which is similar to that of human skin, so it provides nourishment and mineralization to the skin. That is why it has some indisputable beauty benefits:
- This product increases the moisturizing effect and hydration potential for the hair, and it also has UV protection properties. The hair starts shining, and the texture of the head skin is also improved.
- Caviar has wonderful antioxidant properties, so it effectively protects skin against UVA and UVB rays. With age, we can witness elastin and collagen reduction, and anti-aging effects of red caviar can diminish this undesirable process.
- Caviar contains a lot of fatty acids like Omega-3 and Omega-6. This helps to hydrate the skin and to strengthen its barrier function. The skin appears youthful, refreshed, and radiant.
Some Other Benefits of Red Caviar
The red caviar is a powerful antioxidant owing to its high concentration of Vitamins C, D, and E, as well as folate, thiamine, and selenium. It can be used in low carb diets because of its rich amount of proteins. Of course, red caviar is very nutritious, but it does not contain so many calories as you may think. 100 grams of salmon roe contains only 240-260 calories.
There are some other things about red caviar which make it a unique product. Let us consider the following:
- Reproductive Functions. It is very interesting to know that red caviar is a very effective aphrodisiac, and it is especially beneficial for men. Due to its high levels of Vitamins A, B2, B6, and B12, as well as zinc, blood flow is always promoted. It also increases fertility in women.
- Mental Health. Caviar also contains different amino acids, such as arginine, methionine, lysine, histidine, isoleucine. Owing to this, it can reduce the risks and effects of bipolar disorder and depression.
- Faster Recovery Process. Patients who recover from surgery or chemotherapy are strongly recommended to include caviar into their menu because it contains high levels of hemoglobin.
- Skin and Organs Protection. The bright orange color is provided by a carotenoid called astaxanthin. It can also be found in many other types of seafood with orange colorings, such as shrimp or lobster. Astaxanthin itself has a lot of real benefits to consider. It is this unique component that increases skin UV protection and resistance. Some research has also proved that astaxanthin can protect the liver and prevent it from oxidative stress.
- Immune System Boost. Among other salmon roe benefits, there is one more very important one. It is a rich dietary source of Vitamin D. There is no doubt about the vital importance of Vitamin D for the immune system. It helps reduce the risk of infection and take control of some chronic diseases.
Being the richest source of Vitamin B12, red caviar is quite beneficial for DNA synthesis and red blood cell formation.
Negative Sides to Consider
Like all the other foods, however, red caviar also has its potential negatives, especially when consumed in large amounts.
The negative aspects are very individual, and they may include:
- fish roe allergy;
- high price;
- low availability;
- strong and unusual taste and flavor.
How to Eat Caviar
There are certain rules for fine dining, but they are not so strict about red caviar:
- You will look strange and impolite if you start eating caviar with your tablespoon. So remember to have small servings for better tasting.
- It is often used for an appetizer, so take small bites of it. Shoveling does not help to appreciate this expensive and delicate product.
- If you bite into separate grains, you won’t feel the complete taste. Get the flavor by pressing your tongue against the roof of the mouth.
- Red caviar can be served on tartlets, crackers, or tiny slices of bread. Some butter, greens, cheese, avocado, olives, cucumber, or green peas can be added.
It is also tasty to combine it with chicken or quail eggs. Here, the hardboiled egg is cut in halves, the yolk is removed, and the caviar is put in its place.
The overall health benefits and nutritional effects of red caviar overweight much of its cons. In fact, it is the most nutritious food which can be available. The amounts of protein, Omega-3, Vitamins of the B group, and D are really impressive. So, enrich your diet with this amazing natural product, and you will have a great chance to boost, restore, and protect your health against many negative factors and influences of the modern lifestyle and global belief.