Most people keep their media files on their mobile phones or desktops and even some external storage devices. After clicking high-grade images with your digital camera, doing this step is even more critical.
However, during the transfer process, image loss is possible if you disconnect your camera from the PC suddenly. Besides that, other issues can also cause photo deletion, like a factory reset of the devices, software bugs, and intentionally deleting a photo and later regretting it.
If you are experiencing one such situation and want to know how to recover permanently deleted photos, you are in luck. There are ways to restore deleted images, like reliable data recovery software. Let’s discuss your options.
Part 1: Are there ways to recover deleted videos and photos?
Indeed, there are solutions available for you to restore photos after they get deleted from your device. This is because once you delete a file, especially from your desktop, that does not immediately remove it from the system.
- It goes into another folder on the device, which defers as per the operating system. Unless you empty that section, like the Trash in Mac or Recycle Bin in Windows, the file stays there, and you can restore it with a few taps.
- In case you deleted the file from the deleted files folder or it was automatically removed after a set time, you have to use a third-party photo recovery tool like Recoverit.
Both methods are discussed here in Parts 2 and 3, so read ahead.
Part 2: How to Recover Any Deleted Photo from Windows (Without Installing External Software)
In Windows, pre-built utilities allow users to recover their deleted files without any software. You can access either the Recycle Bin where deleted files go or use File History/Backup.
Solution 1: Use Recycle Bin
The first place you should check to recover photo files on Windows is the pre-set folder for deleted files, i.e., Recycle Bin. The files stay in this section until you open it and manually empty the bin, or the file crosses the 30-day mark (then it is permanently deleted). If you deleted the photos very recently, you could use the following steps to recover them.
Note: Remember that the process does not work after emptying the Recycle Bin or if you initially deleted them with Shift + Delete hotkeys, as those files are permanently removed.
How to do this?
Step 1: On your homepage, double-click on the Recycle Bin icon. Or, type Recycle Bin into the search field from the Start menu and press Enter.
Step 2: Choose the picture you want to retrieve. There are three sequences you can use here depending on how many files you want to restore-
- Select one item: Right-click your cursor on top of one option to open a drop-down menu > Choose Restore.
- Select specific items: Right-click and choose multiple photos with Shift + down-arrow hotkey. Click on Restore the selected items.
- All items: Hit the “Restore all items” button.
Solution 2: Try the Windows Backup/File History Option
If you wonder how to recover photos on Windows, a simple method is if you create a backup of it on your PC. Windows 10 and higher versions offer the backup feature via File History that you can use to recover your pictures. For older Windows OS devices, the process of photo recovery from Windows Backup is different.
How to use the Backup-based recovery technique (Windows 8.1/8/7/XP/Vista)?
Step 1: Click the Start button (Windows icon) on your screen and type “Control Panel.” Press Enter.
Step 2: Select the System and Security option > Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
Step 3: Hit the “Restore my files” option.
Step 4: Choose the images for image recovery and press Next.
Step 5: Select the recovery location and press the Restore button.
How to use the File History-based recovery technique (Windows 11/10)?
Step 1: Access the Start menu.
Step 2: Type “Restore your files with File History” in the text field. Hit Enter or click on Open.
Step 3: Browse through the deleted pictures and choose the file version you will retrieve via arrow keys.
Step 4: After choosing, press the Restore icon. The file will save into the original location on the device.
Part 3: How to Recover All Deleted Images and Videos using Recoverit [Easiest Method- Recommend].
If you are wondering how to recover permanently deleted photos, Recoverit is easily the best solution for that. This professional data recovery software allows you to restore 1000 formats of files, whether audio, video or photos, file, etc.
Recoverit Photo Recovery is simple to operate and has read-only properties. In the context of how to get back deleted pictures that are permanently removed from the device/partition/disk.
How to use Recoverit to restore deleted photos:
Step 1: Download and launch Recoverit on your PC or Mac.
Step 2: Choose the file location you will scan, like a partition, folder, or whole system. You can also choose the attached external hard drive or USB drive that is attached to your PC.
Step 3: Wait some time for the scanning process to complete.
Step 4: Choose one file and double-click on it. You will see a preview of the file. Press Recover, if that’s exactly what you are looking for.
Why Choose Recoverit?
- The software is an expert solution to retrieve in cases of sudden data loss, virus attack, bug issue, etc.
- You can restore photos from 2000 different compatible device types, like SSD, USB drives, digital cameras, USB drives, and more.
- The software holds 35 patents for the intuitive functions of data recovery.
- The comprehensive platform scans the device thoroughly and finds deeply removed or lost files.
- Get a real-time preview of the files to see that you choose to recover permanently deleted photos.
[Bonus] Additional tips to avoid any further photo loss
While knowing how to get back deleted pictures is vital, there are some steps you can take beforehand to prevent such a situation. Here are some tips to help you.
- Create another backup of your images with a backup tool or your cloud account.
- Wait for the technology to read the picture thoroughly before detaching the device during file transfer. This will help you avoid any overwrite.
- Recheck a few times to see which files you selected to delete and remove them.
Indeed, there are both standard-level and advanced steps you can take to recover your deleted images completely. You can use the pre-built settings on Windows for this or opt for the capable Recoverit software. Choose your files to retrieve, pause the process, preview your file, and restore.